Greenland, the world’s largest island, lies northeast of Canada, between the Arctic Ocean and the North Atlantic Ocean. Flat to gradually sloping icecap covers all but a narrow, rocky coast. The highest point is Gunnbjorn Fjeld at 3,700 meters (12,139 feet). Summers are cool, and winters cold. Preservation the arctic environment is an issue.
Vikings apparently reached Greenland in the 10th century via Iceland. Danish colonization was begun in the 18th century. Greenland was first integrated with Denmark in 1953, and joined the European Community (now the EU) with Denmark in 1973; however, it withdrew in 1985 over stringent fishing quotas. Although granted self-government in 1979, Greenland voted for increased self-rule in 2008, which Denmark signed into law in 2009.
Today, the sparse population is confined to small settlements along coast, with a quarter of the population living in the capital, Nuuk. Preservation of the Inuit traditional way of life, including whaling and seal hunting, is of concern. There are a number of Archaeological sites in Greenland, including the better known Comer’s Midden, as well as Ruins in Greenland. The Greenland National Museum (Nunatta katersugaasivia allagaateqarfialu) heads the list of Museums in Greenland. Wikipedia also includes an entry covering Tourism in Greenland.
- Ilulissat Icefjord (2004)
- An analysis of opportunities connected to the use of Information technology in order to increase tourism in Greenland by HP Kirkegaard, etc, 2014
- An approach towards sustainable coastal tourism management: nature-based tourism in Nuup Kangerlua, Greenland by HS Elvarsdóttir, 2013
- Ittoqqortoormiit and the National Park of Greenland: a community’s option for tourism development by D Tommasini, 2013
- Extreme archaeological sites and their tourism: a conceptual model from historic American polar expeditions in Svalbard, Franz Josef Land and Northeast Greenland by PJ Capelotti, 2012
- A snapshot of tourism in Greenland by PA Shackel, 2011
- Tourism strategies and environmental labeling in Greenland by BC Kaae, etc, 2011
- Tourism Research in Greenland by BC Kaae, 2007
- Challenges and opportunities of marginality in the Arctic: a case of tourism in Greenland by DJ Timothy & DH Olsen, 2001
- Nature and tourism in Greenland by BC Kaae, etc, 2001
- Planning for ecotourism in Kangerlussuaq.. Søndre Strømfjord, Greenland by J Mordhorst, 1998
- Tourism development in Greenland by ME Johnston & A Viken, 1997
- Greenland wants tourism by T Christensen, 1992
- Tourism to Greenland: renewed ethnicity? by VL Smith, 1982